Saturday, October 17, 2009

the dreaded SWINE FLU....

and so it came. We knew it would. I have to blog about it since this is like my journal, and I am sure 50 years down the road, I will want to remember this stupid flu. 

Erik went to the Doctor on Saturday, he was sick all night Friday and so I made him go. Just to be sure. Nope, not swine flu. Just a sinus infection. He was really sick, sicker then I thought you should get with a sinus infection, but what do I know?

Four days later, Ryder starts with the same symptoms. Cough, really high fever, like really high, like 104. I decide to take him in to the doctor, just to find them swamped with patients, most of whom are wearing masks and coughing their heads off.  Great. If he doesn't have something, I am sure we'll leave with something. 

Not strep, not sinus infection. He throws up on the doctor when she swabs his throat, his nose starts gushing blood all over when she swabs his nose. It was a mess. When she comes back in she says, yep, he has it. Influenza A. 

So is it swine flu or is it not? She said we could send him to the hospital for blood work, but that 90% were coming back positive. I decide thats a good enough answer for me, I can't imagine doing blood work on Ryder. Not that day anyway. 

Home we went with Tamiflu, and a huge worry that my five month old will end up with it. And sure enough, he did, about 3 days later. And after a trip to the ER, and another prescription for tamiflu, he is recovering. They are supposedly contagious for 8 days, so here we are, cooped up at home. 

I am loving the cuddly baby and three year old that wants to actually hold still for more then 10 seconds, but,  I hate swine flu. ~

3 comments:

Brent and Stacie said...

Everybody has that stupid swine flu!!! I am kind of glad to be away from Utah for once. I hope you guys get better soon...that's not fun at all!!!

Ticey said...

Been there done that. So sorry - hope they get feeling better soon.

The Stanger Fam said...

Yikes!! That sounds horrible! We are already shut-ins, but it is working no one has been sick with the flu yet. I hope it passes quickly and that none of you get sick for the rest of the cold season!